With nearly 20,000 organizational customers and millions of student users, Blackboard is the world's leading education technology company. Blackboard is shaping the future of education with big ideas that challenge conventional thinking and advance new models of learning. Every day we’re inspiring people to find new ways to learn, connect and drive change in the way education is delivered and experienced. Through technology and services we bring people closer to the knowledge they seek and to ways they can change their own education and the world for the better.
Blackboard’s mission is to be our client’s partner in change, and to do that we need to explore, select, and then develop ideas into products that will meet the future needs of our clients. We are investing in capabilities that will enable us to do that most effectively, including a team which is dedicated to incubating ideas. We are looking for multi-disciplinary designers who can work across both web and mobile platforms and can take an active, hands-on role in a highly collaborative group, creating and socializing best-in-class work to business owners while working closely with technologists to implement designs. Qualified candidates will share our belief that design is as much about behavior and emotion as it is about utility and ease of use. This role will require regular rotation into our internal incubation team with other designers, working closely with engineers while being supported by other visionaries and champions within the company to create product expressions. The intent is to move fast and to have a wide degree of latitude to explore not only what the products should be, but also to explore novel ways of building products. In way, this team will not only help guide us in making decisions on what to build, but also how to build things.
Professional Qualifications Required Skills:
- You are a design geek with knowledge, skills, and imagination that spark new ways of thinking.
- 6+ years of experience with visual and/or interaction design across multiple platforms, brands, and environments.
- An outstanding body of work that incorporates user-centered design methodologies.
- In-depth knowledge of design disciplines and principles.
- Power user of industry-standard design and product development tools such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketch or any prototyping methods.
- Demonstrate an exceptional eye for detail.
- Ability to effectively rationalize simple to complex design decisions.
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to provide meaningful critique as well as receive and incorporate critique from peers and stakeholders.
- Comfort with close collaborative work where you may lead or you may participate in any given project, always contributing fully.
- Proven ability to handle multiple design projects at different stages of delivery at the same time without sacrificing quality.
- Experience participating and running design-thinking workshops at the team and stakeholder level.
- Background in user research or other qualitative means to inform user-centered design.
- Experience working within an agile design process.
- Is a team player with excellent communication, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- Is passionate about honing their current skill set and increasing it where necessary for personal growth and to support the team.
- Is always looking for efficiency in process and communication.
- Is highly organized and motivated, with a desire to prove him or herself within a company of talented individuals.
- Is both self-motivated and able to motivate colleagues.
- Holds him or herself to high standards of accountability, owning responsibility around design decisions, timeline, and quality.
- Have exceptional listening skills.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary based on your experience and portfolio. Please provide samples of your work with your application.
This job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities at any time.
Blackboard is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.